Saturday 26 March 2011

Sad News.

I received an email from Ken Jennings at CAFC Picks this evening, concerning Paul Weaver, known to many of us as Charlton North Downs.
Paul tragically had a fatal heart attack, playing tennis in February.
Paul's sister Carol contacted Ken to let it be known in the Charlton Athletic community of his untimely death.


I met Paul quite a few times in the Rose of Denmark. I even sat next to him at Legends in the North stand for a meal before a game where he was good company.
Paul loved his tennis. He often seemed to be trying to fit in a game before heading to the Valley.
Whenever I saw him, he seemed to be wearing a red Fred Perry tennis polo.

Sadly, I think the last time I saw him was when Charlton were in the Championship.
He was leaving the East stand with only a few minutes of play remaining but paused as Charlton were attacking.
He turned away in disgust as Jerome Thomas shanked what seemed an easy chance.

I don't believe I saw him again.
I shall remember him as a lovely man.

RIP.

No comments: