Monday 25 April 2011

Fun In The Sun.

Charlton Athletic 3. Rochdale 1.


Well, that went well.


It's just a shame things didn't fall into place a little sooner and then, just maybe, we might have been in Rochdale's position at the start of this afternoon and been pushing for a Play Off place.


The team played with belief and despite being without a few players who would have likely started, took the game to Rochdale  who never really got going.

Racon scored a well placed opener late in the first half and even when Dale equalised from a corner, early in the second period, Charlton just went straight up the other end and stuffed the ball in the net to keep the advantage.

I particularly enjoyed viewing one Dale supporter who was in the middle of giving it large to the home support after their goal, only to sit down again with his head in his hands mid celebration!

Most people seemed to think Dean Parrett was having a good game but until he scored, I'd been a little disappointed with his performance. Perhaps I'm expecting too much? He did take his chance very well though.

The star of the show for me was Nathan Ecclestone.
Whatever must he have done to minimise his appearances for Charlton?

Obviously I don't see him in training and he might be a truly awful young man but on the evidence of the games I've seen, I'd play him every week. Whenever he's been on the pitch he's looked dangerous.

He ran and ran today, taking up positions that more often than not weren't spotted by his colleagues but he persevered.

Young Nathan got his just rewards when a perfect cross from Paul Benson, who was also playing well in my opinion, was met by a bullet header giving the 'keeper no chance.
Ecclestone is far too good for this league and I'm just disappointed we haven't seen more of him during his loan spell from Liverpool.

There were a few Dale penalty appeals late on.
I have no idea how valid they were but the referee who had not been particularly impressive all game didn't seem interested.

It made a pleasing change to exit the Valley after a win.

Crispy noticed some old fella wearing a baseball cap with an appalling grammatical error, (unless we once had a manager who's nickname was Curb), and we chuckled in the sunshine.

Only one more game for me now and two more for the team before the Close Season and lots of work from CP I imagine.

I've already taken the plunge and signed on for next season but if I'm honest, this season can't finish soon enough.

Well done to the team today but when we aren't playing for points to go up or avoid relegation, it really is rather unimportant.

One heartening piece of news from today was those cheating folk down at Bristol Rovers lost.
After their performance on Saturday, I think we'd all like to wish them bon voyage onto the slippery pole of relegation.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Hey Marco, have to agree re Parrett. In typical fashion I commented that he hadn't been in the game a minute before he scored. He then looked busy and I was left wondering whether I had had mistaken some of his earlier contribution for Stewart as they do look very similar.